Crunchy Hemp Seed Granola Bars
Having simple recipes on hand for grab and go healthy snacks can make life so much easier. These super crunchy hemp seed granola bars are packed with healthy fats, protein and fiber. And a better alternative than commercially made bars.
These are the perfect bars to have on hand for a quick grab and go snack or healthy dessert or add to a bowl of natural Greek yogurt and fresh berries for a delicious breakfast.
These Crunchy Hemp Seed Granola Bars feature one of my favourite healthy seeds, hemp seed! Hemp seeds are nutritious superfood and have many health benefits:
Hemp seed health benefits
Contains 20 amino acids (the building blocks of protein) including all 9 essential amino acids (rare in a plant based protein)
High in anti-inflammatory omega-3s and GLA fatty acids. GLA is a building block for prostaglandins, a hormone-like chemical that regulates inflammation.
Great source of soluble and insoluble fibre for good gut health. Fibre provides bulk to our stools to keep us regular and to get rid of toxins, hormones, bile and cholesterol we no longer need. Fibre also feeds our gut bugs.
Contains many nutrients including magnesium (for nerve and muscle function, immune system, keeps our heart beat steady, and allows us to relax or “switch off”), iron (energy and red blood cell production), zinc (immune and hormone health, wound healing, and plays a role in the breakdown of carbohydrates), vitamin E (an antioxidant that protects our body from oxidative damage, great for healthy skin) and vitamin B1(energy production).
Hemp was finally legalised as a food in Australia in November 2017
Although it comes from a cannabis plant like marijuana, it won’t get you high as it doesn’t contain the psycho-active compound THC (tetrahydrocannabinol)
For a 10% discount on Hemple hemp products, you can use my code ‘TRIS10’ thanks to the awesome team at Hemple!
Crunchy Hemp Seed Granola Bars
These super crunchy hemp seed granola bars are packed with healthy fats, protein and fiber. Vegan friendly.
Makes: 12 bars
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup Hemple hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 2 drops vanilla bean extract
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used Cobram Estate Light EVOO as it has a delicate flavour that brings out sweetness)
- 3 tbls 100% maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 160°C & line and flat baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, add almonds and pulse/blend for a few seconds at a time until almonds are chopped roughly (you still want most of the almonds to be 1/4 or 1/2 size pieces).
- Spread out rolled oats and almonds over the baking tray and place in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, turning half way, until golden (watch so you don’t over cook). Once oats and almonds are ready, put to the side to cool a little.
- Meanwhile, place dates in a small bowl and cover with hot water to soak for a few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, and cinnamon. Add the roasted oats and almonds to the same mixing bowl.
- Drain dates, chop into small pieces or transfer to a food processor and pulse until chopped (careful not to over blend as it will stick and form a ball). Add into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients. Using your fingers, break up the bits of chopped dates and mix through the dry ingredients so the dates don’t all stick together.
- Place peanut butter, extra virgin olive oil, vanilla extract and maple syrup into a small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring often, until melted and combined.
- Once ready, pour into mixing bowl with dry ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Transfer mixture into the baking tin and press down firmly with the back of a spatula. Depending on how thin/thick you make it depends on whether your muesli bar will be soft or crunchy. For a crunchy bar, you want about 1/2cm thickness. For a softer bar about 1cm works well. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes to set, before chopping into 12 bars.